Buninyong & District Financial Services Limited
2012 Annual Report
Buninyong & District Financial Services Limited 2012 Annual Report (36 page pdf document - 496 KB)
Community Bank Branch Opening
After a development phase of almost 3 years, the Buninyong Community Bank was proudly opened for business on August 6, 2010, a fine & sunny Buninyong Winter's Day by approximately 250 members of the Buninyong and surrounding districts, with the support of the City of Ballarat, University of Ballarat and Bendigo & Adelaide Bank.
Speaking from the back of a new Isuzu truck generously supplied by Ballarat Isuzu, our Chairman John Emery, City of Ballarat Mayor Judy Verlin, University of Ballarat Deputy Vice Chancellor Rowena Coutts and Bendigo & Adelaide Bank Executive Marnie Baker all served to underscore the importance of the new bank to the township of Buninyong and it's surrounds. They emphasised the importance of the return of banking services to the area after an absence of almost 40 years; of community spirit, of working together and the benefits likely to flow to the community. Our Chairman and Secretary were delighted to emphasise the future potential funding benefits by making donations for specific activities to 8 area Primary School principals on the day.
John introduced branch Manager Stuart McKee and his 4 staff to the crowd, and invited crowd members to make themselves known to the branch staff as they inspected the new branch facilities after the speeches. The Buninyong CFA volunteers were present in strength, with their 2 main fire trucks to add a further element of community to the day.
Other highlights on the Friday:
- Bendigo Bank's "Piggy" (thanks to our anonymous Buninyong resident for dressing up!) and attended by Progress Association member Peter Glover gave colour to the crowd and amused the kids
- Ceremonial Cake supplied by Buninyong Bakehouse and cut by Progress Association President Jim Clementson was enjoyed by all, and Buninyong's new Espresso Depot provided cappuccino and espresso coffees on the footpath outside the branch. Many thanks to both of these Buninyong businesses; we hope you will continue to support them, along with all the other Buninyong's businesses which have supported our bank campaign
- Local CWA ladies turned on a wonderful afternoon tea for guests and visitors
- Local "Tree Fella" Tony Coxall very generously provided his "cherry picker" truck tower so our photographer could take the aerial photograph of the crowd outside the branch. Many thanks to Tony for his donation of time and services, and for his community mindedness in foregoing 2 days tree-lopping income in providing his service.
On Saturday, the branch was officially "opened for business" by local identity and bank shareholder Bill Pryor, whose grandfather was an early settler in Buninyong. Bill spoke with warmth about his pleasure and pride that the bank was opening, sentiments expressed by the whole community.
- A "family day" theme had been arranged for the Saturday, again emphasising community. Lions Club provided a sausage sizzle, and face painters, a balloon tying clown, and jumping castle all contributed to the morning's excitement.
- The City of Ballarat Brass Band entertained the crowds, marched up and down the town's main streets, and added to the occasion's festivities.
- Many community members took the opportunity to be amongst the first to use the bank, transferring accounts, opening new ones and making deposits.
Construction of Branch
Construction works for the Buninyong & District Community Bank began on 9th of February, 2010.
After the scheduled 22 weeks construction phase and the fitting out with computer systems, security systems and furnishings, the branch will be ready to open for "over the counter" business on Saturday 7th August 2010.
The building's design is a contempory rendition of a red-brick heritage style shopfront, with adaptation for modern day banking needs. An ATM will face Warrenheip Street, and the entrance has been designed for ease of access by those with wheel chairs, walking aids etc (no steps!). Large windows shaded by a bull-nosed corrugated iron roofed veranda are a prominent aspect of the external view.
Inside, the banking chamber has provision for up to four customer service officers ("tellers" in the old language!) and there is office space for the manager, staff and for customers who would like a private meeting area to conduct their financial planning activities. See floor plan, below.
Remember: it is not necessary to wait for the branch to open before conducting your banking business with the Buninyong & District Community Bank. You can transfer your existing business, or create new business, NOW. We already have in excess of $10 million in loans and deposits on our books, and the more we have on opening day, the more successful our bank will be. Go to the Transfer your banking businesstab for more.
Profit Share concept
In the 11 years the Community Bank® model has been running, more than 250 such branches have opened across Australia, returning more than $40 million in grants, sponsorship and dividends to their communities. Since 1998, 105 Victorian communities, 30 of them in Western Victoria, have seized the opportunity to have a community focused bank in their region to support their interests. Now, the Buninyong & District Community Bank® can help build confidence, stability, growth and wealth in our community, sharing profits with the community through grants and sponsorships to community directed projects. As we grow, the more capacity we will have to return a dividend to our community.
Community Banks in Western Victoria
Vision and Mission
Our Vision and Mission statements will guide the Board, the daily operation of the branch and inform our shareholders and customers.
VISION: We will contribute to the growth and prosperity of our Community.
MISSION: Building on the 150 year tradition of the Bendigo Bank we will provide accessible, friendly and competitive financial services to individuals, families, groups and business in our Community.
Once we raise the minimum share capital, Buninyong & District Financial Services Limited will operate a Community Bank® branch of Bendigo Bank at 401B Warrenheip Street, Buninyong, utilizing a non exclusive franchise of Bendigo Bank.
In common with most Community Bank® branches, we plan to open the branch
- 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, and
- 9am till midday Saturday
Our services will include full deposit and loan facilities, credit & debit cards, ATM, cash and cheque services, investment and insurance using the systems, products, advice, assistance and training of the Bendigo Bank